[Review] Secret Key - Starting Treatment Essence, Rose Edition -- Sarah

by - May 20, 2018




This was my first time ever trying a product containing galactomyces and I was not deceived. If you're reading this blog, you probably have heard of galactomyces or First Treatment Essences (FTE). The first company to popularize galactomyces was SK-II but since then, a lot of other companies have jumped in the bandwagon, offering us more affordable versions. There is Secret Key but also COSRX, Missha and Tony Moly to name a few, but I started with one of less expansive brands, which is Secret Key. They have been around for a little while now, but it took me some time to try one as I was doubting the effect of a water, moreover the scientific data around fermented galactomyces is still pretty scarce for a product that can be so expansive. But after seeing so many good reviews from customers, I wanted to test it for myself. First Treatment Essences is the term generally used for products that use galactomyces or saccharomyces ferment filtrate as the first ingredient. Secret Key decided to call it a Starting Treatment Essence instead of a "First" Treatment Essence, but that doesn't change anything.


According to the brand this essence has 10 benefits :

- Wrinkle improvement
- Refine skin tone
- Whitening
- Elasticity
- Soothing skin
- Hydration
- Oil control
- Exfoliation
- Boosting
- Takes care of sensitive skin.

Ingredients


Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate, Dipropylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Glycerin, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Acorus Gramineus Root/Stem Extract, Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Adenosine.

- Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate: The start ingredient, it is a type a yeast byproduct of the sake brewing process. As I said, there isn't a whole lot of studies for now, but one in the Asian Journal of Beauty & Cosmetology showed improvements in "pores, sebum secretion, brightness and acne".

- Dipropylene Glycol : texture / viscosity enhancer, does not have any skin benefits, it's just to improve the feel of the product.

- Niacinamide AKA vitamin B3: brightening and anti-inflammatory ingredient, It has been shown to improve the appearance of large pores and refine the skin texture. It is such a good multipurpose ingredient that can benefits all skin types.

- Glycerin is a pretty cheap humectant that almost all companies use. Cheap does not mean it doesn't work well, on the contrary it is a naturally occurring molecule in our bodies and helps maintain water levels in our skin.

- Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract : anti oxidant.

- Rosa Centifolia Flower Water (rose hip water) : Soothing ingredient.

- Adenosine : anti-aging & soothing ingredient.

The list is already pretty simple and the brand claims it contains 94% of galactomyces ferment filtrate. It is free of 10 harmful ingredients : parabens, animal oil, Benzophenone, artificial fragrance, artificial coloring, Triethanolamine, mineral oil, Phenoxyethanol, alcohol and sulfates.

How to use

After cleansing, at the beginning of your routine, but after your acids.

The packaging says to use a cotton pad, but I feel like it is huge waste of money, and I don't enjoy all the benefits of the essence with a cotton pad.

I found it works best when used in large quantities. I would highly recommend trying the 3-skin or 7-skin method with this. After 4 layers I start to get really soft skin, like a baby's butt. After 7, the skin looks visibly more plump, but I didn't do 7 layers each time, as I don't want to buy a bottle every month. I used it every night, because the 4-skin method would be a bit long on mornings before school.

Packaging


The packaging looks really luxurious, it is in a frosted glass which looks stunning on your vanity, even more so if you have the rose edition. The rose gold that is on the cap and on the rose details on the bottle are super pretty. My only complaint is that you can hardly keep the bottle clean, personally I wrapped it in a tissue so that I could take pictures at the end for this review but otherwise you'd get finger prints all over the bottle. I had no problem with the opening, and overall the packaging is pretty standard for FTEs, it is pretty sturdy.

First impressions

I have not tried any other FTE so I won't be able to compare this product to others in its category.  There isn't any scent that I can detect. I won't even show you the texture on the back on my hand like I usually do, because it literally looks and feels like straight water. The first few layers absorbed really quickly because my skin is thirsty like that. But after about four layers, the absorption takes slightly longer as the skin becomes progressively saturated. After the third layer my skin starts to feel incredibly soft, but that might just be because my skin is rarely that hydrated.

Did I like it ?

I really loved it. It gave me a glow that I rarely can achieve with my dry and dehydrated rosacea skin. For the same reason my skin is rarely silky smooth, but with the 3 or 7 skin method it worked wonders to plump my skin. Dare I say my skin was mochi-mochi: bright, hydrated, smooth and clear. As I find this step quite time consuming, it was usually the first thing I would skip after a busy day. But it still helped a bit with brightening after a couple of weeks.

I found that I needed at least 3 to 4 layers to see optimum results. Because of the hydration it provides, it calmed my redness a bit, but I doubt it is because of the ingredients themselves and more because my skin is not thirsty anymore. According to Musicalhouses, the Secret Key Starting Treatment Essence is a pretty good dupe for the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence given the ingredients. I doubt there is a very big difference between the regular version and this one, the rose water is not in large enough proportion to do anything major, but I have to admit it was worth it just for the packaging alone. Next time, I will probably try the regular version to test if there is a difference in terms of performance.

I would recommend it for any skin type : from dry to oily, sensitive and dehydrated alike.

Price: one of the cheapest FTE I know on the market. I bought it on beautynetkorea.com for $14 (when they still had free shipping, now it is ~$11 + shipping)

Note: 5/5, I have no negative thing to say about this essence. It may not be an essential part of a routine for a beginner, but as a skincare junkie, I will continue to use it.

Would I purchase it again: YES! Although I have just bought the COSRX Galactomyces Alcohol-Free Toner to compare (another dupe to the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence according to Musicalhouses, even though it's not very high in galactomyces), I will buy the Secret Key STE again, probably the regular version to compare to the rose edition.

You May Also Like

0 commentaires