[Review] Pixi - Glow tonic -- Sarah

by - April 26, 2017



I should have taken a photo while it was still full but I received from my sister halfway through (and instead I gave her the COSRX AHA 7 which was a little too strong for me). I could have taken a half full shot but I totally forgot. But hey, it shows I've used the whole bottle and you know I've had the time to completely test it...


The packaging
Pretty simple just a hole, does its job. It never leaked for me.

The ingredients
Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Glycolate, Glycerin, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Urea, Dextrin, Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Hexyl Nicotinate, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Biotin, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance.

It contains Aloe very and Witch Hazel as the second and third ingredients respectively, which is great to sooth the skin. It is very important for me. I had never heard of Horse Chestnut extract but apparently it soothes the skin. Lower down the list there is also Urea, a natural component of our skin, which is a humectant (meaning it attracts the water once in the upper layer of the skin). It might also soothe the skin by reducing the inflammation. Too bad there is some fragrance, but I also appreciate that for once, an AHA product doesn't smell too bad. Overall I'm super happy with the ingredients.

What it claims & how to use it
"Instantly refreshing, Pixi’s gorgeous glow-giver brightens, tones and conditions your skin after cleansing. Enriched with 5% glycolic acid – a natural derivative of sugar cane, and member of the alpha-hydroxy acid family – this gentle, exfoliating formula dissolves the bonds binding dulling dead cells to skin’s surface, to reveal the ‘new’ healthy skin cells underneath. Aloe then soothes and hydrates while oxygenating ginseng promotes cell health and skin vibrancy; witch hazel firms and tones, while horse chestnut boosts blood flow, to grant your complexion a naturally fresh and dewy radiance. [...] gradually diminish signs of sun damage, fine lines, scarring and other imperfections. " From Cult beauty. (https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/pixi-glow-tonic.html)

You're supposed to use it on a cotton pad on cleansed skin.

First impressions
The smell is super nice. It's not amazing per se but compared to every AHA products I have ever tried so far (ÜNT, COSRX, The Ordinary) the smell is not bad at least, which is unfortunately a common point for AHAs. I have never had a tingling sensation.
I used it with a cotton pad mainly on my T-zone, jaw and undereye area. I was careful not to use it above the tear bag (namida bukuro in Japanese or aegyosal in Korean), see more on Paula's choice website. I did not use it every day but instead one day out of three approximately and it was enough for me as my skin is sensitive.

Did I like it?
I liked how it smells and how refreshing it was. It was my first time with a watery AHA solution and I loved it. And the fact that I could use it on a cotton pad, I felt like I could be really precise (I do have to avoid the most sensitive parts of my face, my cheeks). Now in terms of efficiency it is quite potential you use it every day, although it is quite mild. I did not even need to use it everyday to see a difference. My personal target are the closed comedones on my forehead and milia under my eye. I did help with the comedones, not so much with the milia which I'm surprised about. But it helped fading the scaring when my milia finally popped. If I compare to the COSRX AHA 7, it was milder, yet still effective. I prefer the formulation, smell and feel of the Pixi lotion. Right now I'm trying The Ordinary AHA solution: 5% Lactic Acid + 2% Hyaluronic Acid. It feels less powerful (since Lactic Acid is milder) and I like the texture a bit less, but I'll do a full review soon.

Note: 4.9/5 --> Not yet a Holy Grail yet but I will definitely buy it again.

You May Also Like

0 commentaires