[Review] The Ordinary - Lactic Acid 5% + Hyaluronic Acid 2% -- Sarah

by - August 22, 2017


Packaging

I like the Ordinary packaging, looks very professional, and even the name of the product gives you that impression. When your friends look at that and they think it's a prescription, I think that's pretty cool. I love matte glass and the dropper is good for this type of runny gel. It doesn't look cheap, but it is, love that. When I first saw their product, I actually thought they were going to be super expansive, like Deciem, glossier, etc.

I am guessing the names can be intimidating to persons who don't have much skincare knowledge, but don't be afraid, The Ordinary has a description for each product. I like that their products are targeted to one problem, and not trying to do a bunch of things (except for Buffet) because it is aimed for skincare junkies who know what they want.



Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol. (Taken from the Ordinary website)

As the website states: it is alcohol-free, fragrance-free, silicone-free, nut-free, vegan and cruelty-free!

Lactic Acid is an AHA. The most common AHA is Glycolic Acid, but it is said to be stronger and potentially more irritant than Lactic Acid. That's because Lactic Acid molecular size is bigger than Glycolic Acid, it doesn't penetrate as much into the skin.


Claims & How to use it

According to The Ordinary's website, this products offers very mild exfoliation. It targets uneven tone, textural irregularities and fine lines.

The formulation aims at reducing the inflamation with the Tasmanian Pepperberry and with the right PH. The 3.60-3.80 PH is supposed to be low enough for the acid to work but not too low as it could cause irritation.

Directions: Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. This product contains AHA that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.

First impressions

I did not had an adaptation period as I was previously using the Pixi Glow tonic (which has 5% Glycolic Acid) and my skin was reacting well to it, so with a milder acid, I didn't think I needed any adaption. I use it only on my undereye area (Paula's Choice has an article on using AHA on the undereye area), forehead, nose, chin and jaw line. I have avoided my cheeks where I have rosacea.

The liquid is slightly tacky at first. Because of the texture it spreads easily. The smells is not bad compared to other AHA products I have tried (The best smell would be the Pixi Glow Tonic). For some reasons, AHAs & BHAs tend to not smell good, but this is not the worst at all and the smell disappears quickly. Once I am done with the application, it feels a bit shiny.

Given that my last experience with AHA was with the Pixi Glow Tonic I was surprised that it was more like a gooey serum rather than a watery toner. However that does not change its place in a skincare routine, it should still be applied on a clean face before anything else so that nothing interfere with the PH of the product.
Moreover AHAs and BHAs work better if you wait at least 15 minutes before resuming your skincare routine.

I also should note that I wear sun protection every time I go out, and even when I'm inside all day if it is shiny. If you do use AHAs, ideally you should wear protection for a week after.

Did I like it?

I use it on my undereye area to avoid milia but I still have some and I would not say it helps either with the one I have. On my forehead though, it helps tremendously with closed comedones, those pesky little bumps that you can't pop but stay longer than regular pimples. I use to have lots of closed comedones on my forehead but with regular use, I have never more than 2 or 3 at the same time. I manage to have nothing at times! Each time I see some appearing I do 3/4 days of LA 5% + HA 2% and they usually disappear.

It also work as a prevention for blackhead and whitehead since what clogs pores is usually a mixture of dead skin cells, sebum and other things like pollutants, makeup, creams that are too heavy... Would you believe me if I told you I have 0 blackheads? And very few whiteheads? I have had some for years but with consistent use of AHA I have been able to get rid of every single blackhead. I mean there's also genetics that are in my favor, but still.

5% is a very low percentage for most people but it is advised for people who have never used acids to start low. However given my sensitive skin I cannot go for higher percentages. You also have to consider that Lactic acid is not as powerful as glycolic acid, but it is also less irritating. As a result it never gave me redness / flush, but again I only use it on my T-zone which is less prone to redness than my cheeks. If you wanted something stronger, there is a 10% Lactic Acid + 2% HA available form the same brand.

Note: 4.5. It is that close to be a holy grail. But I prefer thinner texture. So I think I will go back to my beloved Pixi Glow Tonic, which I have being comparing a lot as you may have noticed, because I love it so much.

Would I repurchase? I will probably go back to the Pixi Glow Tonic, but if I ever find myself short on money, I would go back to this without a doubt.

You May Also Like

1 commentaires